You will not get stock Android 4.2.2 on Galaxy S I9000 but it does not mean that you can’t get the update. The awesome guys at CyanogenMod are now bring you Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2 based CM10.1 for Galaxy S smartphones. Google released Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 for Nexus devices earlier this week and a lot of custom ROMs are already making their way out. CyanogenMod is popular and most widely used of them all. You can install it on your device.
How to Install CM10.1 Android 4.2.2 on Galaxy S I9000
Please note that: Since it is a custom ROM and not the stock one, you will need a rooted Galaxy S I9000 device with a custom recovery like CWM installed.
Before you begin:
- Install USB drivers for your device if you don’t have them installed already.
- Backup your data, contacts and messages as you will lose it during the process.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device
Step 1: Download required files:
- CyanogenMod 10.1 4.2.2 Galaxy S ROM: cm-10.1-20130216-NIGHTLY-galaxysmtd.zip
- Google Apps Package: GApps for CyanogenMod ROM
Step 2: Copy both the downloaded files on to the root of your device SD card.
Step 3: Disconnect your phone from PC and switch it off.
Step 4: Boot your Galaxy S in CWM recovery mode. Press & hold Volume Down + Power buttons till the screen flashes then select “Recovery” option to boot into CWM recovery mode.
Step 5: Take a backup of your current ROM.
- From Recovery screen, select “Backup and Restore”
- Now select “Backup” to start the backup process.
Now navigate back to main recovery screen.
Step 6: Select “wipe data/factory reset” option. When it asks for confirmation, select “Yes” to confirm data wipe process.
Step 7: From main recovery screen, do the following:
- Select option “install zip from sdcard”
- Then select “choose zip from sdcard”
- Select the ROM zip file
- Tap on “Yes” to confirm and begin installation
Step 8: After installation is complete, repeat step 7 and select the GApps zip file (instead of ROM file) to install Google Apps package.
Step 9: Now navigate back to main recovery screen and select “reboot system now” option to reboot your device.
That’s it. Your device will now reboot and will now have CM 10.1 Android 4.2.2 on I9000 Galaxy S.