You can now install the official AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2 on T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989 Hercules as well as on International Galaxy S2 I9100 and I9100G smartphones. AOKP team released the Build 3 of the ROM based on Android 4.2 JB. Along with new features and bug fixes, the build also added support for some more devices, including international as well as & T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 phones. Since it’s a custom ROM, you will need to have a rooted device and a custom recovery (like CWM or TWRP) installed.
NOTE: Before you begin, please take the backup of your data as it will be lost during the process.
How to Install AOKP 4.2 on Galaxy S2 I9100 & T989
Step 1: Download the AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2 ROM for your SGS2:
- Galaxy S2: I9100: aokp_i9100_jb-mr1_build-3.zip | Mirror
- Galaxy S2: I9100G: aokp_i9100g_jb-mr1_build-3.zip | Mirror
- T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989 Hercules: aokp_hercules_jb-mr1_build-3.zip | Mirror
Step 2: Download GApps for AOKP ROM.
Step 3: Copy the ROM and the GApps zip files to your SD card.
Step 4: Unplug your SGS2 from computer and boot it into CWM recovery mode. To do this:
- Switch off your device
- Press & hold Volume buttons + Power button to boot into bootloader mode (Note: button combination may vary depending on your device)
- Now select “Recovery” option using Power button to boot into CWM recovery mode
Hint: Use volume keys to navigate up & down and use Power button to select an option.
Step 5 (Optional but important): Take a NANDROID backup of your ROM:
- From Recovery screen, select “Backup and Restore”
- Now select “Backup” to start the nandroid backup process.
After backup process is complete, navigate back to main recovery screen.
Step 6: Now select “wipe data/factory reset” option. When it asks for confirmation, select “Yes” to confirm data wipe process. Then navigate back to main recovery.
Step 7: Now you will install the ROM zip file that you placed to SD card of your device in step 1. Follow these steps:
- Select option “install zip from sdcard”
- Then select “choose zip from sdcard”
- Now select the zip file that you want to install (the file that you copied onto the SD card)
- When it asks for confirmation, select “Yes” to start installation
The custom ROM installation will now begin. Wait for it till its complete.
Step 8: Now repeat the step 7 to install GApps zip file.
Step 9: After installation is complete, navigate back to main recovery screen and select “reboot system now” option to reboot your device.
This will install AOKP 4.2 ROM on your Galaxy S2 device. Enjoy!