How to Install Android 4.2 AOSP on Captivate I897
The unofficial custom Jelly Bean 4.2 for Captivate I897 is now available. The official update is nowhere in sight but for those eager users anxiously waiting, you can now install Android AOSP 4.2 ROM on Captivate I897 smartphone. To be able to install this update, you must be rooted and should have ClockworkMod Recovery installed on your device. Here is all the details you need including prerequisites and step by step instructions:
Important Note: This update is for AT&T Samsung Captivate devices only!
- Wifi not working for some users (I’ve already included a fix which worked for some users (on I9000), but still doesn’t work for some users apparently.)
- Sim Toolkit (STK) does not work
- Bluetooth not working. You can install the patch (provided under downloads) to make it work.
How to Install Android AOSP 4.2 on Captivate I897
Before you Begin:
- Backup all your important data including contacts and SMS / MMS.
- You will need a rooted AT&T Samsung Captivate smartphone.
- ClockworkMod Recovery should be installed on you device.
- Continue at your own risk.
Step 1: Download required files:
- ROM: captivatemtd_aosp42
- Google Apps: gapps-jb42-20121120.zip
- Bluetooth Patch: 20121126_bluetooth.zip
Step 2: Copy the downloaded zip files to your SD card.
Step 3: Boot in ClockworkMod Recovery mode:
- Switch your phone off
- Press & hold Power + Volume up + Volume down buttons till the screen turns on. Then leave the buttons.
- Now use volume keys to scroll to the “Recovery mode” option and press Power button to select the option
- Nexus 4 will now reboot in CWM Recovery mode
Step 4: Perform a Nandroid backup. In CWM recovery, select the option “Backup and Restore”, then select “Backup”. This will take the backup your ROM that you may use later to restore to.
If you do not want to take ROM backup, just skip this step. It’s highly recommended to backup.
Step 5: Now select the option “wipe data/ factory reset” to wipe the settings and apps.
Step 6: Select the option “install zip from sdcard”, then “choose zip from sdcard”. Now select the ROM zip file that you put on your device in step 2.
Step 7: Select “install zip from sdcard” again and after “choose zip from sdcard” select the Gapps zip file to install Google Apps.
Step 8: Select the option to “Reboot System Now”.
When it boots up, you will have Android AOSP 4.2 on Captivate installed successfully. Enjoy!