Google started rolling out Android 4.2.1 JOP40D OTA update earlier today. Direct download links for those who want to update from Android 4.2 JOP40C to 4.2.1 JOP40D started making the way out soon after. So, if you have not received the update on your Nexus device till now, you can follow our step by step guide below to install it on your device.
Warning: Continue at your own risk.
Manually Update Android 4.2 JOP40C to 4.2.1 JOP40D on Nexus 4, 7 & 10
Before you Begin: Backup your important data before your start the process.
Step 1: Download Android 4.2.1 for your Nexus device:
- Nexus 4: signed-occam-JOP40D-from-JOP40C.625f5f7c.zip
- Nexus 7: signed-nakasi-JOP40D-from-JOP40C.659e6288.zip
- Nexus 10: Link not available for now.
Step 2: Rename the downloaded zip file to “update.zip”.
Step 3: Copy the update.zip file on root of your device’s SD card.
Step 4: Start your device in Recovery mode. To do this:
- Switch your device off
- Press & hold Volume down + Volume up + Power buttons together.
- Leave the buttons when you see “Start” on top of device’s screen.
- Scroll up to “Recovery” option using Volume buttons.
- Press Power button to select “Recovery”
- Now you will see the exclamation mark on screen. Press & hold Volume up + Power buttons to get into the recovery mode.
Step 5: In Recovery mode, select “update from SD card” option and then select the update.zip file that you placed on SD card in step 3.
Installation process will now start. Wait while the update installs. Once done, your device will reboot. First boot will take up to 5 minutes, so be patient. Once it boots up, you will have Android 4.2.1 JOP40D on Nexus device of yours. Enjoy!