How to Install CWM Recovery & Root Nexus 4 4.2.1 JOP40D
Updated Nexus 4 to Android 4.2.1 JOP40D from 4.2 JOP40C firmware? Now you can root Nexus 4 4.2.1 in few steps and install ClockworkMod Recovery 188.8.131.52 on it. Google released the official Jelly Bean 4.2.1 update for Nexus devices earlier today. It’s still rolling out while direct download links have also been available for those who didn’t want to wait. We have earlier posted a guide on how to manually update to Android 4.2.1 JOP40D. Here is our step by step tutorial to root Android 4.2.1 on Nexus 4:
How to Root Nexus 4 4.2.1 & Install CWM Recovery
Before you Begin:
- Backup your important data, SMS / MMS, photos, videos and contacts.
- Make sure that USB Debugging is enabled on your device. If not, you can enable it from Settings > Developer Options and enable “USB Debugging” from there.
- You will need to unlock Nexus 4 bootloader if you have not done this already.
- Download & Install Android SDK latest version. This will install the required drivers.
Warning: Continue at your own risk. We will not be responsible if anything goes wrong.
Step 1: Download Required Files:
- Fastboot: For Windows, Mac or Linux (zip file)
- CWM Recovery: recovery-clockwork-touch-184.108.40.206-mako.img
- SuperSU: CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip
Step 2: Extract the Fastboot zip file and copy its contents to android-sdk\platform-tools directory. (Go to the directory where you installed the Android SDK and look for platform-tools directory in there. If can’t find it, create a directory named “platform-tools” and copy the extracted Fastboot zip file items in there.)
Step 3: Also copy the recovery-clockwork-touch-220.127.116.11-mako.img file in the platform-tools directory.
Step 4: Connect Nexus 4 to the computer and copy the CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip file on root of the SD card.
Step 5: Put Nexus 4 in Bootloader mode. To do this:
- Switch your phone off.
- Press & hold Power + Volume down buttons till you see some text on screen.
Step 6: Launch Terminal / Command Prompt. Windows users should run Command Prompt as Administrator. To do this:
- Click on Start button in Windows
- Click on All Programs > Accessories
- You’ll find Command Prompt in there, right click on it and then click “Run as administrator”.
Step 7: In Command Prompt / Terminal, execute following command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-18.104.22.168-mako.img
Step 8: Now select “Recovery” option from Bootloader menu to enter the CWM Recovery mode.
Step 9: In ClockworkMod Recovery, select “flash zip from sdcard” and then select “choose zip from sdcard” option.
Step 10: Now scroll and select the CWM-SuperSU-v0.98.zip file that you copied on SD card in step 4 above. Confirm the installation on next screen.
This will start the installation process, wait till it completes.
Step 11: After installation is complete, select “go back” option to navigate back to main recovery screen.
Step 12: From main CWM Rcovery screen, select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
First boot will take some time, so be patient please and give it 5 minutes. Once it boots up, you can check SuperSU app on your phone to confirm that you have been able to successfully root and install CWM Recovery on Nexus 4 4.2.1 JOP40D. Enjoy!