You can now update International Galaxy S2 I9100 to Carbon ROM (4.2.2 Android). The newly released Carbon JB v1.1 ROM is based on Android 4.2.2 JDQ39 update that Google released for Nexus devices last week. Your Samsung Galaxy S2 may not receive the official JB 4.2.2 anytime soon. However, there are plenty of Android 4.2.2 custom ROMs that have started showing up already. CyanogenMod 10.1 is on top of the list followed by AOKP, Paranoid Android as well as LiquidSmooth ROM. CarbonROM is relatively new than all of those mentioned in the post. Built by the team behind LiquidSmooth ROM, it’s worth trying and you should definitely give it a shot.
Important: Please note that this is a custom ROM so you will need to have a rooted Galaxy S2 with CWM or TWRP or any other custom recovery installed in order to flash this ROM.
How to Install Carbon ROM 4.2.2 on Galaxy S2 I9100
Before you Begin:
- Backup your important data as you will lose it during the process.
- Install Samsung USB drivers for your device on your PC.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device.
Step 1: Download CarbonROM for SGS2: Carbon-JB-v1.1-15FEB2013-150905-i9100.zip
Step 2: Download Google Apps package: GApps for CarbonROM
Step 3: Copy the ROM and GApps zip files on root of your device’s SD card.
After copying both the files, you can disconnect your phone from the computer.
Step 4: Boot Galaxy S2 in CWM Recovery mode:
- Switch your phone off
- Press & hold Volume buttons + Power button to boot into bootloader mode
- Now select “Recovery” option using Power button to boot into CWM recovery mode
Once in CWM recovery mode, you can use Volume keys to navigate up & down and Power button to select an option.
Step 5: Backup your current ROM: Select “Backup and Restore” option and then select “Backup” option to start the ROM backup.
Step 6: After backup is done, select “wipe data/factory reset” option to wipe data.
Note: This will wipe your data and factory reset your device. Your data will be lost and will become irrecoverable so be sure to take data backup prior to this.
Step 7: Now when the data wipe is complete, you can install CarbonROM. Follow these steps:
- From main recovery screen, select “install zip from sdcard” option
- Then select “choose zip from sdcard”.
- Now select the ROM file (Carbon-JB-v1.1-15FEB2013-150905-i9100.zip)
- When it asks for confirmation, select “yes” to start ROM installation.
Step 8: Repeat step 7 to install GApps. Instead of selecting the ROM zip file, select the Google Apps zip file that you downloaded in step 2.
Step 9: Navigate back to main recovery screen and select “Reboot system now” option to restart your phone.
That’s it! You now have Android 4.2.2 on Galaxy S2 I9100 courtesy Carbon ROM v1.1. Enjoy!