How to Install AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2.1 on Nexus 7, Nexus 4 & Galaxy Nexus
Good news for users of Nexus devices. Build 1 of AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2.1 for toro, mako, maguro and grouper devices is now available for download and ready to be flashed. So, you can now download and install AOKP 4.2.1 on Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Galaxy Nexus (GSM & Verizon) devices. It’s the initial release and is only available for selected Nexus phones and tablets so far. The ports for other devices won’t be far away though. For now, the Nexus owners can enjoy the great features and customizations offered in AOKP ROMs. You can find the download links at the end of this post.
Developers have been hard at work to port AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2.1 ROM to other devices. The primary focus has been to add more features to the ROM though. Now with that out of the way and first build being available for selected devices, we can expect the port for other devices to be available soon. Stay tuned for more.
How to flash AOKP ROM on Nexus 7, Nexus 4 & Galaxy Nexus
You can use CWM Recovery to flash AOKP ROM on your Nexus device. Here’s how to do it:
Preliminary Steps & Requirements:
- You need to have a supported device and it should be rooted.
- Your phone should be well charged, preferably 80% or above.
- You should have a custom recovery like ClockworkMod Recovery or TWRP Recovery.
- USB Drivers for your device should already be installed on your computer. If not, download and install the drivers on your PC.
- Backup all your important data as you may lose it during the process
- Finally, continue at your own risk. Custom ROMs, unlike official firmware releases, pose a potential risk and you may even end up bricking your device. It goes along well most of the times though but you never know. So, be sure of what you are doing, take a backup and proceed with caution, and at your own risk.
Step 1: Connect your device to the computer using the USB cable.
Step 2: Download the AOKP ROM zip file for your device and copy it on root of the SD card of your device. (Download links provided at the end of this post)
Step 3: Download GApps zip file and copy the zip file to your SD card. (Download links provided at the end of this post)
Step 4: Disconnect your device from the computer and boot it into CWM recovery mode:
- Switch off your device
- Press & hold Volume buttons + Power button to boot into bootloader mode (Note: button combination may vary depending on your device)
- Now select “Recovery” option using Power button to boot into CWM recovery mode
You are now in CWM recovery more. Use volume keys to navigate up & down and use Power button to select an option.
Step 5 (Optional but important): Take a NANDROID backup of your ROM:
- From Recovery screen, select “Backup and Restore”
- Now select “Backup” to start the nandroid backup process.
After backup is done, navigate back to main recovery screen.
Step 6: Now select “wipe data/factory reset” option. When it asks for confirmation, select “Yes” to confirm data wipe process. Then navigate back to main recovery.
Step 7: Now you will install the ROM zip file that you placed to SD card of your device in step 1. Follow these steps:
- Select option “install zip from sdcard”
- Then select “choose zip from sdcard”
- Now select the zip file that you want to install (the file that you copied onto the SD card)
- When it asks for confirmation, select “Yes” to start installation
The custom ROM installation will now begin. Wait for it till its complete.
Note: If you copied any other zip file alongside the ROM file (like GApps zip), repeat the above steps to install that zip file.
Step 8: After installation is complete, navigate back to main recovery screen and select “reboot system now” option to reboot your device.
Download AOKP Jelly Bean 4.2.1 ROM Build 1
Here are the download links: