Unofficial CyanogenMod CM 10.1 for Xperia Neo / Arc S (Jelly Bean 4.2.1)
The unofficial and early releases of CyanogenMod 10.1 continue to make way out for several devices. This time around its CM 10.1 for Xperia Neo and Xperia Arc S devices. It’s unofficial version of very early alpha build of that will bring CyanogenMod custom ROM with Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean on Xperia Arc S and Neo devices. The ROM is not recommended for daily usage as their may be some issues with it. Here’s a list of working and not working features, according to the developer:
- Ril 2g & 3g
- Apps & Games
- Hardware Keys
- Root & Superuser
- USB Connection
- Mass Storage (Sdcard)
How to Flash CM 10.1 on Xperia Neo, Arc S (Jelly Bean 4.2.1)
WARNING: Continue at your own risk. We will not be responsible if end up messing up or bricking your phone.
Before you Begin:
- Backup your data before flashing this custom ROM.
- Make sure you have unlocked the Xperia bootloader.
- Root Xperia and install ClockworkMod Recovery if you haven’t already.
Step 1: Download required files:
- ROM: Download from official source page (ideosdev_alpha1-cm-10.1-20121130-UNOFFICIAL-hallon.zip)
- Google Apps: gapps-jb42-20121120.zip
- Fastboot: For Windows, Mac or Linux (zip file)
- Kernel: Boot.img
Step 2: Copy the downloaded ROM file and Gapps package to the SD card.
Step 3: Extract the Fastboot.zip file to a convenient location, ideally in C:\. After extracting the file, you will get a directory named Fastboot.
Step 4: Copy the downloaded Boot.img file to Fastboot directory.
Step 5: Connect your Xperia to the computer in Fastboot mode. To do this:
- Connect your Xperia’s USB cable to the computer. Don’t connect your phone yet.
- On your phone, press & hold Menu button (the button on bottom right).
- While holding the Menu key, connect your phone to the computer.
Step 6: Launch Terminal / Command Prompt on your computer and navigate to Fastboot directory using cd commands.
Step 7: Execute following command:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
This will flash the kernel to your device.
Step 8: Now disconnect your phone from PC and boot it in Recovery Mode. To do this:
- Press the Power button to boot the phone up
- Soon as you see the blue LED light up, start pressing the Back button on Xperia
- Keep pressing the Back button till you boot into the Recovery Mode.
In Recovery Mode, you can use volume keys to navigate up & down and Power button to select.
Step 9: Perform nandroid backup of your device. Select “Backup and Restore” option and then select the “Backup” option to take a backup of your current ROM.
Step 10: Now navigate back to main recovery screen and select the “Wipe Cache Partition” option to wipe data from your device.
Step 11: Now select “install zip from sdcard”, then select “choose zip from sdcard” option.
Step 12: Select the ROM file that you copied onto the SD card in step 2.
Step 13: Once ROM installation completes, select the Gapps zip package and install it too.
Step 14: After installing Gapps, select “wipe data/factory reset” option from main Recovery screen. Confirm to wipe the data.
Step 15: Select “Wipe Cache Partition” option, then select “Wipe” to start the process.
Step 16; Soon as it completes navigate back to main screen and select “Reboot system now”.
Your Xperia will now reboot. First boot will take some time so be patient.
You now have CM 10.1 on Xperia Neo installed. Same process can be followed to install CyanogenMod 10.1 on Xperia Arc S devices.