Official CyanogenMod 10.1: Install CM10.1 for HTC Evo 4G (jewel)
HTC Evo 4G users can now download and install CM10.1 for Evo 4G (jewel) smartphone. CyanogenMod team have released the first nightly / experimental build of the ROM for selected HTC devices including Evo 4G, One S and One XL. So download and install CyanogenMod 10.1 on Evo 4G and get Android 4.2.1 flavor with some other cool features. It’s an experimental build for now and may not be fully stable. Here is the guide to install it on your device:
How to Install CM10.1 for HTC Evo 4G
Please note: Since it’s a custom ROM, you will need a rooted HTC Evo 4G with ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP or any other custom recovery installed.
Step 1: Preliminary steps:
- Make sure that device drivers are installed on the PC.
- Backup your data including contacts and messages as you may lose it during the process.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device.
Step 2: Download CM10.1 for HTC Evo 4G: cm-10.1-20130216-NIGHTLY-jewel.zip
You can download the latest version from here: device=jewel
Step 3: Download GApps for CM10.1.
Step 4: Copy both downloaded files to your SD card.
Step 5: Boot your Evo 4G in CWM Recovery mode. To do this:
- Switch off your phone
- Press & hold Volume Down + Power buttons till the device boots up
- Now select the “Recovery” option
Your device should now be in CWM recovery mode.
Step 6: Take a backup of your ROM:
- From Recovery screen, select “Backup and Restore”
- Now select “Backup” to start the nandroid backup process.
After backup is done, navigate back to main recovery screen.
Step 7: Now select “wipe data/factory reset” option. When it asks for confirmation, select “Yes” to confirm data wipe process. Then navigate back to main recovery.
Step 8: From main recovery screen, do the following:
- Select option “install zip from sdcard”
- Then select “choose zip from sdcard”
- Select the CM10.1 zip file (cm-10.1-20130215-EXPERIMENTAL-ville.zip)
- Tap on “Yes” to confirm and begin installation
Step 9: After installation is complete, repeat step 7 and select the GApps zip file (instead of CM10.1 file) to install Google Apps package.
Step 10: Now navigate back to main recovery screen and select “reboot system now” option to reboot your device.
That’s it! When your device boots up, you will have CyanogenMod10.1 on HTC Evo 4G device of yours. Enjoy!