How to Install CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) on Captivate i897 with JB 4.1
Get your Samsung Captivate i897 ready! CyanogenMod 10, the latest version of popular custom ROM, is now available for i897. So, you can now install CM10 on Captivate. The ROM is based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, so by installing it on your device, you will also get the latest version of firmware. Although you could already install Jelly Bean 4.1.1 on Captivate using Slim Bean 1.0, CyanogenMod is the far better option as its comparatively more stable.
- SMS / Calls
- Google Play Store
What’s not working?
- Google Ears / Sound search
Tutorial: Install CyanogenMod 10 on Captivate (CM10)
Before you begin:
- Make sure your device is charged. Recommended battery level is 40% to 60%. The more, the better.
- Backup all your important data as it will be lost during the process.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Captivate: Navigate to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging and enable it.
- Disable SIM card lock, navigate to Settings > Location and Security > Sim card lock and make sure the option is unchecked.
- Finally, make sure that firewalls and antivirus programs are disabled to avoid any problems during the process.
Step 1: Download the following:
- CM10 ROM for Captivate i897
- Download the Kernel: Devil3_0.79_cappy_CFS_BLN_VC_20120618.zip
- Also download Google Apps for your device: gapps-jb-20120715.zip
Step 2: Put all the downloaded files onto the root of your SD card. Then disconnect Captivate from the PC and switch it off.
Step 3: Put your device in ClockwordMod recovery mode:
- Press & hold volume up + volume down buttons
- While holding both volume buttons, press Power button till the screen turns on
- You will notice your phone starting in recovery mode, leave the buttons then
- Use volume up / down buttons to navigate and use the Power button to select
Step 4: In recovery mode, wipe all data first:
- Select the option “wipe data/factory reset”
- Then select “wipe cache Partition”.
- When it asks for confirmation, select “Yes” to confirm.
This will wipe all data from your device.
Step 5: Once data is wiped, now install the ROM:
- Select “install zip from sd card”
- Then select “choose zip from sd card”
- Browse and select the ROM you copied on SD card in step 1
- Choose “Yes” to start the CM10 installation process.
Step 6: Once ROM is installed, install the kernel using same process. This time browse and select the kernel zip file, instead of ROM file.
Step 7: Now using same method, install Google Apps on your device.
Step 8: Choose the option “+++Go Back+++” and reboot your phone by selecting “reboot system now”.
That’s it. You will now have CyanogenMod 10 on Samsung Captivate i897 with Jelly Bean 4.1. Enjoy!
If you encounter any problems during the process, do let us know in comments.