For those of you who updated, you can now root Galaxy Nexus 4.2.1 Android (JOP40D). In this guide, we will use the Fastboot commands to flash ClockworkMod Recovery on Galaxy Nexus I9250 device running Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean build JOP40D. It works perfect on Windows, Mac as well as on Linux / Ubuntu OS. Here are the steps:
Fastboot Flash Recovery & Root Galaxy Nexus 4.2.1 Android
Before you Begin:
- Backup your important data, SMS / MMS, photos, videos and contacts.
- Make sure that USB Debugging is enabled on your device. If not, you can enable it from Settings > Developer Options and enable “USB Debugging” from there.
- You will need to unlock Galaxy Nexus bootloader if you have not done this already.
- Download & Install Android SDK latest version. This will install the required drivers.
Warning: Continue at your own risk. We will not be responsible if anything goes wrong.
Step 1: Download Required Files:
- Fastboot: For Windows, Mac or Linux (zip file)
- CWM Recovery: recovery-clockwork-touch-184.108.40.206-maguro.img
- SuperSU: CWM-SuperSU-v0.99.zip
Step 2: Extract the Fastboot zip file and copy its contents to android-sdk\platform-tools directory. (Go to the directory where you installed the Android SDK and look for platform-tools directory in there. If can’t find it, create a directory named “platform-tools” and copy the extracted Fastboot zip file items in there.)
Step 3: Also copy the recovery-clockwork-touch-220.127.116.11-maguro.img file in the platform-tools directory.
Step 4: Connect Galaxy Nexus to the computer and copy the CWM-SuperSU-v0.99.zip file in the SD card.
Step 5: Put Galaxy Nexus in Bootloader mode. To do this:
- Switch your phone off.
- Press & hold Power + Volume down buttons till you see some text on screen.
Step 6: Launch Terminal / Command Prompt. Windows users should run Command Prompt as Administrator. To do this:
- Click on Start button in Windows
- Click on All Programs > Accessories
- You’ll find Command Prompt in there, right click on it and then click “Run as administrator”.
Step 7: In Command Prompt / Terminal, execute following command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-18.104.22.168-maguro.img
Step 8: Now select “Recovery” option from Bootloader menu to enter the CWM Recovery mode.
Step 9: In ClockworkMod Recovery, select “flash zip from sdcard” and then select “choose zip from sdcard” option.
Step 10: Now scroll and select the CWM-SuperSU-v0.99.zip file that you copied on SD card in step 4 above. Confirm the installation on next screen.
This will start the installation process, wait till it completes.
Step 11: After installation is complete, select “go back” option to navigate back to main recovery screen.
Step 12: From main CWM Rcovery screen, select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.